Fri, 15 Mar|
Tawhirimatea a Tumatauenga
Gizzy Local is holding its first Exhibition
Time & Location
15 Mar 2024, 7:00 pm – 16 Mar 2024, 10:00 pm
Gisborne, 64 Lowe Street, CBD, Gisborne 4010, New Zealand
About the event
In March 2024 Gizzy Local will be hosting our first exhibition, and we’re looking for local artists to be a part of it. After the year that has been, the theme of Tāwhirimātea’s Battle feels apt!
For this exhibition artists are invited to draw upon this enduring story of the struggle between the god of the weather, Tāwhirimātea, and Tūmatauenga, deity of war and people. As we experience the effects of climate change first hand in Te Tairāwhiti, this battle between Man and Weather continues to play out before our very eyes.
We welcome expressions of interest from local artists - from emerging through to experienced as. We welcome a wide variety of mediums from visual art forms to photography, sculpture, installation and interactive art, to craft.
Expectations and Requirements:
- A body of work can look like one large installation / 3 large works / 3 - 8 pieces of varying sizes / 20 small pieces. Tell us about your creative vision and how you envisage it being presented within the space.
- - Completed works to be received by Thursday 29 February 2024.
- - Works to have hanging equipment attached or provided. Framed work to be framed to a gallery standard.
- - When you submit your artworks please note details on medium/s and pricing.
- - You'll also need to submit an Artist Bio with photo.
- - Exhibiting artists are expected to attend the opening night and to promote the exhibition via their social media.
- - You'll be working with our curator to hang your works.
The exhibition and opening night will be promoted through Gizzy Local online and social platforms, plus printed posters. Exhibiting artists will be featured on Gizzy Locals Social platforms and Website. We're looking forward to a great Opening night with music, kai and refreshments! Artists are expected to attend and be able to talk about their works, even if just one on one with people.
In bringing together this exhibition we are committed to walking alongside emerging and less experienced artists. Our curator will be available to assist you with framing, pricing, hanging your work to a gallery standard and writing your artist Bio and artwork details.
We encourage interested artists to come and check out the exhibition spaces. There is an outside courtyard, hallway, traditional exhibition space, internal windows, and various other options depending on the nature of your work.
To express your interest in showing your work as a part of this exhibition, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with images that convey your style and a brief outline of the body of work you are proposing. If your work lends itself to something less traditional in hanging, let us know so we can work with you to accommodate it.
We have space for about 10 - 12 artists to participate in this group exhibition which will be held at the Gizzy Local space in Lowe Street. The opening night will be 15th March and the exhibition will run for 1 month.